Different Sushi Types and Roll Varieties
Sushi is a staple Japanese food that has made its way from home meals to standing sushi bars, supermarkets, store shelves, and restaurants. Sushi used rice along with other ingredients like vegetables that get rolled into a sheet and then sliced in pieces. There are different types of sushi tourists that you will come across in Japan.
- Makizushi [Norimaki] – Ingredients and rice are rolled carefully in a nori seaweed sheet, and then cut into small pieces. Maki means rolls. Different kinds of norimaki are hosomaki, futomaki, uramaki, and gunkanmaki –
- Temaki – Nori seaweed sheet is used to wrap ingredients and rice within a conical shape. Different kinds of fillings include umeshiso, umeboshi, negitoro, sweetened omelet, and squid.
- Narezushi – Fish is fermented with rice and salt. The taste is extremely pungent and is less favored. However, Fanazushi made using nigorobuna fish is a popular delicacy. It gets fermented for 5 years and the dish is costly.
- Nigiri [edo-mae]. It is a kind of fast food and made with rice hand-pressed in a cylindrical shape and toppings like vegetables, seafood, tofu, omelet or meat are used.
- Oshizushi [hakozushi] – Ingredients are pressed into a rectangular box and layered with toppings. Sushi is cut neatly into small squares, rectangles or triangles. Toppings include mackerel, gizzard shad, and edible bamboo leaves.
- Sasazushi – “Sasa” means bamboo leaf. Sasazushi comprises of rice & toppings wrapped in a bamboo leaf. Toppings include wild vegetables, walnuts, miso, mushrooms, salmon, and omelet.
- Kakinoha-zushi – “Kaki” is a persimmon leaf that imparts delicate aroma to the fresh seafood topped with rice wrapped in it.
- Temari – Temari means ‘hand-ball’. Small rice balls are topped with a thin layer of seafood or other ingredients.
- Chirashizushi – A bowl of vinegar sushi rice is topped with popular toppings like cucumber, squid, salmon pieces, boiled prawns, and shredded omelet.
Variety of sushi rolls
- Tiger roll – Cucumber, avocado, tobiko, shrimp tempura.
- Philadelphia roll – Cream cheese, avocado, salmon.
- Dynamite roll – Bean sprouts, shrimp tempura, carrots, yellowtail, cucumber, avocado.
- Crunch roll – Tempura, crispy seaweed, spicy tuna.
- Rainbow roll – Cucumber, avocado, fish cake, tuna, yellowtail, shrimp, salmon
- Dragon roll – crab, eel, avocado or cucumber, eel sauce
- California roll – Crab, cucumber, avocado, sesame seeds
- Spider roll – Cucumber, avocado, soft-shell crab tempura, spicy mayo
- Caterpillar roll – Avocado, cucumber, eel
- Spicy tuna roll – Chili sauce, mayo, tuna
- Tempura roll – Crunchy fried food
- Vegetable roll – Avocado, fresh carrot, cucumber, scallion, cream cheese, asparagus
With sushi rolls, you get ginger pickle and wasabi on the side. However, sushi rolls differ from one restaurant to another even if the names are the same. Before you order ask the waiter what are the ingredients within the specific sushi roll.